Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

We are excited to announce that a full Forum system upgrade is under way, which will make it even easier to get answers to your questions, help other owners by using your boating experience, and receive dependable advice from our network of experts. While things may look and operate a little differently, we believe the new system will ultimately improve your Forum Member experience.

We are doing everything we can to transition your account smoothly without you having to change your current login, username or password. You should be able to get into your account exactly the same way once the transition takes place. However, if you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment in the General Discussions category.

We look forward to sharing new features with you as we upgrade and improve your Owner's Club Forum experience!

How do I calculate the GVWR of my 2007 196 FD? - What is the right truck for me?

MakegaMakega Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a 2007 196 FD with a 150 Yamaha outboard. I am retiring in Florida and need a tow vehicle to drive back and forth from Maine twice a year. I need help determining my boat weight and then what is the right truck for me.
Thanks,
Ken Gale
Watertown MA

Comments

• pineypiney TexasMember Posts: 42
    Check the NADA Used Boat guide onlne.  There should be a spec area that may have your model's weight listed
  • pineypiney TexasMember Posts: 42
    Re: the right vehicle-- -- A gentleman at work bought a truck to occasionally pull his rv.  He said all he considered was the towing capaciaty vs the trailer weight-- The trailer was less that the max capacity but still in the upper area.  Both the truck and trailer salesmen said...no problem...its within the specs.... He found that he had to add a load balancing hitch and rear air bags to raise it when towing.  Without these-he said it was very unstable.
    I tow my roughly 4500# boat/trailer with my f-150.  Its rated at 11k# with factory towing pkg.  Its not bad, bit I can tell its back there.
    I had an explorer that I towed 2 jet skis with all over the state-- It was rated at around 2500# and the two skis/trailer easily weigh 2200 dry.  Trashed the transmission after 4 years.

The moral of my comments are-- buy bigger.  Consider a towing package w/ transmission cooler.  
  • omar174omar174 Mid-Atlantic Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Any 1.5 ton truck with a tow package (transmission oil cooler) will do just fine. I would also suggest trailer brakes, 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66